Monday, October 25, 2010

Bear and Bird's Halloween art show




Memory Lane
Acrylic on canvas
11" x 14"
2009

Aren't I just so clever with that title? Ahem!

Here in south Florida, we got this awesome shop called Tate's Comics, and they've got a little shop on their second floor, Bear and Bird, that holds galleries for short periods of time. Two times a year, they let local artists submit their own work for themed galleries, and this was for Halloween.

I did this with very little time, hardly any references for the background, and little experience with painting. This was my first finished painting! I had another one on the side, but my teacher really wanted me to start getting into shows, and this sorta thing still happens a lot with us.

The idea of Satan dressing up as an angel was funny to me at the time, and still kind of is. (but in a bratty sort of way) And again, I had little time to do this, so whatever halfway decent idea was good to go for this.

I stretched canvas for this one, and was taught the magical world of fast-drying acrylics. (that was both a good and annoying thing) So this was a pretty simple painting once I got used to how things worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment